Dermatologists are experts in the management of acne & acne scarring. Dr Wines will tailor your treatment to your individual needs.
Techniques used to manage scars need to be individualised as different acne scar types require different techniques. These techniques include punch grafting, filler injection for acne scars, subcision, photodynamic therapy, injection of corticosteroids, or fractionated laser treatment.
- Punch grafting: involves removing the scar with a special instrument and then replacing it with normal skin. This procedure is then followed up with laser resurfacing.
- Subcision®: involves dividing the scar tissue beneath the scar and thus lifting the skin back to its original position.
- Fillers injection for acne scars: This technique is better for deeper scars. It is not permanent so retreatment is needed.
- Thick keloid-like scars: Keloid or hypertrophic scars require the injection of corticosteroid into them. Multiple injections separated by 4 to 6 weeks may be required.
- Fractionated laser: this laser technique is most suitable for atrophic acne scars (the most common types of scars) It is popular, effective and extremely safe.